Join us for our annual back-to-school informational meeting! This event is free and open to anyone in the community.
Speakers from Best Buddies and Fairfax County Public Schools will present and answer your questions.
Meet and Greet POAC’s Board Members; Help yourself to local and government handouts regarding supportive resources.
Best Buddies Haley Minter, Program Manager for expanding Best Buddies programming in Virginia & DC, will discuss the organization’s:
- Jobs Program Ambassador
- Program Friendship
- Programs for citizens
- College, Middle and High school, middle school
- Pilot program for Elementary students, with the intent to expand supports in the Spring.
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) Panel Participants will give an overview of their programs and be available for questions.
- Mike Bloom, FCPS Acting Director of Office of Special Education Instruction
- Will share updates on Seclusion and Restraint
- Dawn Clements, FCPS Assistant Ombudsman for Special Education (new position)
- Her role is to serve as an impartial person for information and options when an issue arises with a student who receives special education services. https://www.fcps.edu/news/fcps-announces-appointment-new-assistant-ombudsman-special-education
- Sara Cooner, FCPS Program Manager for Behavior Intervention Services
- Discuss increase in Behavior Intervention Staffing and their role serving students enrolled in general and special education from Pre-K thru High School.
- Tina Wilkerson, FCPS Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) Coordinator
- Discuss programming and supports around Applied Behavioral Analysis services.
- Ellen Agosta, FCPS Program Manager for Assessment and ESY Summer Services
- Will share updates on evolving graduation requirements for Special Education students.